There are many excellent resources on the internet that are helpful for giving guidance as well as emotional and practical support. Here are a few that you may find helpful to assist you in providing the best quality of life for your loved one.
The National Dementia helpline 1800 100 500
- A library is also available at all Alzheimer’s Association head quarters
- A Day centre is attached to the Alzheimer’s Association Western Australia head quarters -the Mary Chester Centre which like all other Alzheimer’s Association day centres offer excellent programmes. Alzheimer’s Association also offer respite services
- Alzheimer’s Australia WA offers a range of free workshops and courses aimed at supporting families and carers of people with dementia.
Commonwealth Carer Respite Centre 1800 059 059
Aged care Facilities: Most aged care facilities have respite care, contact your local facility.
Commonwealth Carer Resource Centre 1800 242 636
Dementia Care Australia
- http://www.dementiacareaustralia.com/ – Forum for family and carers
- The Spark of life Club programme, an excellent programme is available in many aged care facilities
Dementia Advisory Service (DBMAS)
- Assist families and carers in their support of people with dementia where the behaviour of the person with dementia may be impacting on care.
- Carers can contact this free 24 hour service on the telephone assistance line 1800 699 799. For more information, visit www.dbmas.org.au
Community Mental Health and Consultancy Services
- Services for Older Mental Health Adult, services are run in metropolitan areas e.g.: Fremantle Older Adult Mental Health Community Service
#5, 275 Marmion Street, Melville WA 6156 Tel: 08 9317 5600 ( office hours M-F )
- Mills Street Centre Bentley Health Service
Bentley Hospital, Mills Street, Bentley WA 6102 Tel: 089334366
Independent Living Centre
Technology For Dementia
- www.dementiatechnology.org.au – home checklist, DVD, website virtual tours, posters and help sheets
- An ElderPlan is a tailor made, physical report provided for Elderplan clients that cover all major factors which affect or will affect quality of life. The major factors which Elderplan believe are important are Lifestyle and Legacy wishes, Management of Business Affairs and Managing Health and Ageing. The Elder plan is regularly reviewed and adjusted where circumstances change.
Arts In Dementia Care
- A government funded social support group is for people with dementia and their support person. It is held twice a month at the Art Gallery of WA and includes hands on art sessions, guided tours of the Gallery collections and touch tours of sculptures. Clients receiving care packages or living in residential care may also attend on a ‘fee for service’ basis.
Friends in Harmony Choir
- People with early stage dementia who love to sing can now join the Alzheimer’s Australia WA ‘Friends in Harmony’ choir together with their support person. This highly successful weekly program can help improve self confidence and the quality of life for a person with dementia. For further information about these creative services, please call (08) 9388 2800.
My Aged Care Website
- My Aged Care – A website to give consumers information on aged care services.
Ashby Memory Method
- http://www.wisdomactivities.com.au/ – Books, activities and resources
Box n Dice
- http://www.boxndice.com.au/ – Books, activities and resources